Thursday, April 5, 2012

Jelly Bean Graphs

I LOVE this time of year!  There are so many activities to do for school during spring and Easter… and I have felt pretty good and organized, so I am able to do them with the kids.  This week we graphed a bag of jelly beans.  I gave half of the colors to Grace and the other half to Hannah.  With CLEAN HANDS Hannah sorted them by color and put them on her graph.  Once she had sorted all of the colors and put them in the correct columns, we colored the same number of spaces as jelly beans on the graph.  I wrote the number for each on the bottom next to the color word.  She was delighted with herself and this very grown up activity.
DSC_0850DSC_0853
DSC_0852
While Hannah and I were doing our work, Grace was diligently working on her own.  I knew that there were several ways to go about the graphing process, but I didn’t want to tell her one way she had to do it.  I knew that she would pick a process that SHE liked since we have done similar activities.  She decided to pick a jelly bean out of the basket, and immediately color the space for it on her graph with a corresponding color.  She loved naming each color and coloring the space for each bean.  “Wow! I have another red!  COOL!” She did an outstanding job… I knew she would.  When she had finished, I asked her to write the number of each jelly bean at the bottom next to the color word. 
DSC_0851DSC_0854
Grace is licking her lips.. in case it is hard to figure that out!
DSC_0855
Then Grace and Hannah compared their graphs. “I had 7 orange and you had only 4!” “Well, I had 11 yellows and you only had 6.” “Did you see that we both have 4 blacks?” It was fun comparing them, but it was MORE fun eating them! I let them pick a few from their own basket and then we put the rest of them back in a baggie for later!  Daddy needs his jelly beans and Cadbury eggs this time of year! DSC_0859
Who says that math can’t be fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment