Tuesday, August 27, 2013

That’s my girl!

I have a vivid memory of a time at the Lesages when we were growing up.  Their kids and our kids were playing in the backyard. The boys and I were in the woods – climbing trees, chasing each other, kicking balls/cans/rocks, and collecting things from the woods.  While the boys began another game of kickball, I found a small toad.  It was the smallest one that I had ever found.  This little guy was no bigger than my fingernail… just adorable.  I played with him for a long time – finding a nice place for him in the shade and bringing him water. My very own pet.  We had a special bond… this spotted toad and I.  Then mom called.  TIME. TO. GO.  NO!!!  What do I do with my new friend? 

Well, I did what every 8 year old girl would have done:  I stuck him in my pocket to take him home with me.   We gathered in the Bronco and headed home…. then had lunch… and a quick swim.  BUT… it wasn’t until the dried skeleton fell from my pocket as mom picked my shorts out of the dryer, that I remembered my pal!! 

Oops…

Grace has acquired my love for exploring outside.  When I found a toad out in the yard this week, I immediately called her to come take a look. She didn’t hesitate an ounce as she scooped him up and started to love on him – stroking his back, talking to him, checking out his feet and legs, all while naming him Webby!  She was in love with this little guy – just amazed at God’s Creation and admiring all the parts up close! 

Here she is…. with Webby!

DSC_0279

DSC_0280

DSC_0283

Pointing out the details of her new friend to her sister….(I think she was even pretending to be Kris Kratt, if you know the Kratt Brothers)!

DSC_0285

DSC_0286

DSC_0288

After having fun with her little friend, I made her put him back where we found him – NOT IN HER POCKET!  She didn’t like to say goodbye, but she knew that we couldn’t keep him.  I think I may have to keep an eye on her pockets in the future, though!  :)

1 comment: