Friday, August 23, 2013

Spelling Review

I am always on the look out for really interesting things to do with the girls for homeschooling!  I have truly come across some gems in my preparations for this school year – we will begin the day after Labor Day! (I hope I am ready!!!)  What did we all do before the internet?  Before Pinterest?

Today I went searching for ideas to review spelling words.  Grace is really good at spelling and she can truly remember her words easily.  She was starting to have to think a little more at the end of the year, and after looking at the words for this year, I know she will need some more rehearsal.  I found a great website (http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/2012/10/75-fun-ways-to-practice-and-learn.html) with 75 ideas to review spelling words.  I KNOW this will be handy for me for the school year…. look them up… they are fantastic!

Here are my top 5 that I WILL be using this year:

1. Coffee Filter words – write the words on coffee filters using markers.  Then spray the coffee filters with water or sprinkle them with water.  Watch the colors blend together and turn into instant art!  COOL!

2. Hidden Words – write the words on a white piece of paper with a white crayon.  Then paint with water colors over the words and see the words magically appear!

3.  Unscramble the words – put the letters to the words on the table using Scrabble tiles or magnetic letters.  Have your child unscramble them to put them in order.

4. Small, Medium, Large – copy the spelling words three times – the first time make them small (baby), the second time write them medium and then write them large – or GIANT! 

5.  Use Alpha-bits cereal or ABC Cheeze its to make them words – and then EAT THEM! 

Which ones will YOU try?

No comments:

Post a Comment