Friday, April 12, 2013

Mom, it’s my “churn”!

Yup… I AM that corny! 

Grace finished her Language Arts Curriculum a few weeks ago and as we are getting to the end of the official school year, we started a unit on Little House on the Prairie which will carry us into summer… and maybe fall!  We have been reading “Big Woods” and doing a few activities to go with it… including churning cream to make butter!  How fun… and tasty! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and the kids loved making it, kind of like Laura did!

First, we put heavy whipping cream into a jar and put the lid on tightly! (Notice how the girls are wearing their aprons… they have been wearing them since the start of this unit… they want to be like Laura!)

DSC_0877

DSC_0878DSC_0879

Nothing but the best… AE heavy whipping cream!!!

DSC_0880

Then we shook it and shook it.  Each of us took turns to shake it until we didn’t hear it sloshing around any more.  This is what it looked like when we opened the lid. The kids were surprised to see what it made!

DSC_0881

DSC_0882

Next, we put it into a bowl to mix it a little. 

DSC_0883DSC_0884

Then I ran it under cold water to rinse away the buttermilk.  I read that it preserves it a little more than if you don’t – not that I think it will last that long in this house!

DSC_0886

DSC_0887

Then I made some refrigerator biscuits to eat with our butter for lunch…. yummy biscuits with melting butter on them!!!!  I should have made more! What a fun activity and a learning experience all at the same time!!

DSC_0888

DSC_0891

No comments:

Post a Comment