Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Creative Snacks and lunches?

Do you get tired of the same old snacks over and over for your kids? Of course you do, you are a mom! We all get uncreative and pick the same 5 things over and over and sometimes we give the kids the same thing for a few days in a row. My kids don’t really mind that as long as they are eating, but I have challenged myself to be a little more creative lately with snacks and lunches.  I just sometimes feel like I am in a rut and I have to pull out the first quick thing that comes my way.  I may be in the middle of a lesson with Grace or reading to Hannah or feeding the baby or changing Josiah when the time for snack calls!  All I want to do is easily remedy the whiny children with some quick brain food! (Do your kids get whiny when they are tired or hungry or is it just mine?)

My kids love to help in the kitchen and they LOVE making their own food!  I have combined these two to give my kids the work of making their own lunches or snacks about once or twice a week….

Here are the kids just last week making “banana stacks” (I don’t have a name for them yet!) for snack time…. I gave them cut bananas, a glob of peanut butter, a few chocolate chips and a small knife.  They added the peanut butter to the bananas and topped them with a chocolate chip or two.  They were delighted to be making their own snack, it kept them busy for a while and overall it was really yummy and healthy!

So… try to be creative with your kids and let me know what snacks or lunches you let them make… you may be surprised how much or what they will eat when they make it themselves!

DSC_0785

DSC_0781DSC_0784DSC_0780

DSC_0786

DSC_0782

Yummy….. and I made it MYSELF!!!

1 comment: