Monday, September 17, 2012

There’s more to school than textbooks…

I love making learning fun for my kids.  There are times when they just don’t realize that they are learning, growing and reviewing.  I love it!  After a few games of BINGO to review numbers or letters, Grace will say, “But, mommy, when are we going to do school?”  HA!  We HAVE been doing school, Grace!  There is MORE to school than textbooks.  Now, she WOULD do pencil and paper activities ALL MORNING if I would let her.  She hates it when I only have 4 pages of work for her to do!  What a NUT! 

Here are Josiah and Hannah working on numbers with a Domino Parking Lot Game.  Hannah has to count the dots on each domino and then put it in the Parking Space with the corresponding number.  (Shhhh.. she doesn’t know that she is working!)

DSC_0670

DSC_0671

DSC_0672

Next, the kids helped me make a chocolate cake.  They each measured, dumped, poured, stirred and licked! We talked about safety in the kitchen around the mixer and the hot oven.  Learning… with NO textbooks.

DSC_0674

DSC_0675

DSC_0676

We do plenty of real school work around here… the pencil/crayon and paper kind.  But I gravitate to the other activities that encourage learning – from reading my list in the grocery store to cooking dinner to sorting toys into their bins in the toy room to playing games.  It is all learning at this house…even potty time!  (If you haven’t heard THAT story, let me know and I can fill you in on those details!)

No comments:

Post a Comment