Saturday, May 5, 2012

Just in Time!

At my doctor’s appointment yesterday, I got a bunch of hospital information and forms – that I should have already filled out, but I hadn’t thought about that!  In the information was a listing of classes.  I only took a birthing class before we had Grace and then we took a tour of our hospital here in IA before Josiah.  I knew that Hannah would benefit from seeing the hospital again since she was Josiah’s age when he was born.  As I fumbled through the class listings, I notice that they had a Siblings Class for children ages 3-6 for this morning (May 5) which included a tour of the nursery and rooms.  SO… I talked to Danny and we signed the girls up to take this class from 8:30-10.  There are about one class per month so I saw this listing JUST IN TIME! 

I am SO GLAD we went.  Nurse Linda did a great job in explaining things to the children, including: how to change a diaper, equipment babies need, how to wrap up a baby in a blanket, how to determine if a toy is a good one for the baby and what a doctor’s clothes look like (in case of a C-section delivery).  Then we went upstairs to see a Labor and Delivery Room (my girls loved the HUGE tub!) and the Nursery.  The nurses brought babies over to the windows so we could get a closer look.  The girls LOVED seeing the tiny baby parts!  One of the babies was crying and you could hear her though the glass.  Hannah was convinced that the baby needed a big sister to help her stop crying!  :)  We also saw a nurse checking on one of the babies – measuring, taking the temperature, etc.

DSCN8251

DSCN8252

Once we were back to our little room Grace and Hannah got right to work practicing how to change a diaper and wrap up the baby in a blanket.  They did SUCH a great job!  They kept showing Nurse Linda who was extremely impressed!  We also read a few books about babies and took home some coloring papers including a birthday card for the baby as well as some doctor dress-up clothes!!

DSCN8253DSCN8254

DSCN8256DSCN8255

 

My girls and I had a GREAT TIME!  I would HIGHLY recommend something like this to other parents…it was a great refresher for Grace and a special event for both!

1 comment: