Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Green Thumb?

I am not sure if I have a green thumb or not, but this summer will certainly help me determine if I do!  You see, I have always wanted to have a garden, but have never done it.  In NH we really didn’t have a good spot for it… it was too shaded!  Then in coming to IA we didn’t want to dig up our rental property to have a garden.  Now that we are in our own home, I have had the perfect spot to have a garden… but it has been occupied by hostas…. and I mean MEGA HOSTAS!!!  I really wanted to remove them and get them in another location at the front of the house so they would be seen, but there were too many things that had to be done first – more on that in an upcoming post!  Now that THAT work is done, I was able to get the garden that I wanted. 

We just have a few plants, but we think it will be a great thing for all of us!  It has been fun to see the seeds sprout and the flowers make their way on the plants!

Here are the pepper plants… there are 2 green pepper plants, one red pepper plant and one jalapeno plant. 

DSC_0616

Here are the sprouts from the green bean seeds.. you can almost watch them grow!!  In the back are the cucumbers… we just got seeds so they will take some time to grow… but they are already sprouting!

DSC_0617

Here are the zucchini and yellow squash plants… we are getting ready to see some flowers on them any day!  I am already getting excited to make zucchini bread (with chocolate chips, of course) and some yummy stir fry!!!

DSC_0618

Here is the whole thing… not much, but it is something to us!

DSC_0619

FYI… gardening really makes me think of my Gramps and Nanna!  They have always had a garden and I can remember going to their house in the summer and helping to pick things!  There is nothing like Grampa’s green beans, corn, and cucumbers!  It was always fun to be up there and pick the beetles off of the raspberries or pull on a carrot to see how they were coming along!  I miss those days… wish I lived closer to them!  Here is one last set of pictures… of Grace!  We got to have her participate in the garden experience at Great Grampa’s several years ago… I still remember how she picked and then ate EVERY raspberry she saw!  I am not sure ANY made it into the container!  (Reminds me of Blueberries for Sal!) 

Maine 003

Maine 004Maine 007Maine 015Maine 019

Here are just a few of the garden boxes we had in NH… we had some GREAT beans… not much else, though!

DSCN6467DSCN6470

What will we get from the garden this year…. hopefully lots of great produce AND PICTURES/MEMORIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment