Thursday, May 2, 2013

Insanity?

What would cause this otherwise sane mom to run to the grocery store at 8:45 last night?  A pregnancy craving? NO!  Medicine for the kids? NO!  A Redbox date with my hubby? NO!  Insanity? NO!

I made an emergency stop to Hy Vee last night because of some great deals that I just couldn’t pass up… the kind that pay YOU money when you buy them…. the kind that is just one day only and the rest of the day had been so crazy that I had to go after the kids were in bed!  Those must have been some good deals… YUP! 

Before I get to the deals, you have to know a little about our stores.  We have a Fuel Saver program at our Hy Vee.  Basically, there are certain items each week that give you cents on your fuel card if you buy them.  Then you redeem the cents off per gallon when you buy gas at certain stations.  For example, when you buy a bag of carrots you get 2 cents off per gallon up to 20 gallons.  To me, that equals 40 cents of savings (2 cents x 20 gallons).  I check to see if it is a good buy when I take the initial price and subtract the fuel cents of savings.  If the carrots were a dollar and I saved 40 cents, then 60 cents for carrots would be a great deal… totally worth it!

BUT… this month (May) has another twist… I hope you are still following me – I am so sorry for a Math post if you are math challenged….in May all of the fuel saver cents are DOUBLED on Wednesdays!  That makes for some amazing deals.  Here is the breakdown of what I got last night that I just couldn’t pass up:

3 Boxes of Graham Crackers – 2 cents for fuel saver x 2 for Wednesday x 20 gallons = 80 cents off.  They were $1.98 each – 80 cents = $1.18 per box

8 packets of Old El Paso Taco seasoning – 2 cents for fuel saver x 2 for Wednesday x 20 gallons = 80 cents off.  They were 88 cents each – 80 cents = 8 cents each  ( I usually make my own but I can’t for this price!!!)

3 bags of Broccoli florets – 2 cents for fuel saver x 2 for Wednesday x 20 gallons = 80 cents off.   They were $1.98 each – 80 cents = $1.18 per bag.

And here is the best of them all…..

4 GM Cereals (Multigrain Cherrios) – 10 cents for fuel saver x 2 for Wednesday x 20 gallons = $4.00 off.  They were $3 each – $4 = making $1 per box PLUS I had a coupon for $1/2.  So… it was like they gave me $1.50 for each box of cereal I “bought” or I had $6.00 in credit.  Understand?

So… I bought $35 worth of things (I also got ketchup, creamer, and other stuff) and then I had $28 of savings with the fuel savers.  I really only paid $7 for all of the items that I got last night.  What a great way to start my savings log for the month of May!  YIPPEE!  I was quite excited by these deals….:)

No comments:

Post a Comment