Thursday, October 10, 2013

Exactly what I was dreaming of…

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of having children often.  I dreamed of fun trips we would make and of activities we would do.  One of the things that longed for were the days of baking with my daughters. I didn’t know what they would look like, what their names would be, who their daddy would be or how many there would be, but I could picture myself with a few little girls standing on stools to see above the countertop – eager to help with the stirring. 

Those days are here.  Those day started from the time the kids could stand up on a step stool to help… and I truly cherish them!

I love the days of baking with my girls – and boys too!  We have a blast in the kitchen and have made 100s of cookies, brownies, pies, bread, rolls, cakes, pancakes and more!  The look on their faces when they crack an egg correctly – without shells – and pour it into the mixing bowl…. the floured faces from turning on the Kitchen Aid too fast…. the joy when I let them sample a few chocolate chips, but tell them NOT to let Daddy know… the look of disgust when I have them smell the vinegar… the chocolaty mustaches from licking the beaters and scrapers… they are all priceless!

Now it is Grace’s turn to do it alone.  We have been training her since she was little how to read a recipe, measure the ingredients accurately, mix without spilling, crack eggs to perfection, etc.  She has done it all… and done it EXTREMELY well!  So, last week, when we were going to have some company, I asked Grace to make the brownies for us…BY HERSELF!  She was DELIGHTED with that request and then she turned a little scared.  I reassured her that she would do a FABULOUS job.  She kept saying, “Mom, can you believe this?  A six year old is making brownies!  Is this allowed?”  Precious!

She read the directions carefully and laid out all of the ingredients and bowls and spoons and measuring cups and other tools.  Then she got to work.  It was a delight to watch – out of the corner of my eye.  I didn’t want her to think that I couldn’t trust her, but I also wanted to make sure it went according to the recipe – I think KK and Boo would remember a brownie flop or two!  :)

DSC_0611DSC_0612

The end product was delicious!  She even added chocolate chips to the batter… a girl after my own heart!  Great work, Grace!

2 comments:

  1. I can picture her laying everything out - just like her daddy does before changing a diaper!!!! Nanna is so proud!

    ReplyDelete