Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Conviction in Giving

Living in a city there are ample times of seeing homeless people or hungry people along the side of the rode.  We are often asked for money or food as we wait at a stoplight.  The people’s sadness and sunken eyes are hard for me to ignore, and the thoughts of their families get to me.   What am I to do?  I have heard the stories of homeless people using their money to buy beer or cigarettes, but I have also known those same ones come to Jesus from the love they get from people on the streets!

So…. with God working on my heart in this area, I have had a softening heart to these people.  Who am I to judge them and decide for them what they are going to do with the money or food I give? I am called to give.  The Word tells us that when we have clothed, feed, given drink to those in need it is like giving to Jesus.  MY HEART is what is important...not what they are going to do with what I give. That is THEIR responsibility!

A few weeks ago on the way home from church we met a homeless woman at our exit.  I had a large bag of pretzel rods that I had brought for the kids and I gave what I had to the woman.  (One of the kids was so disappointed that they were all gone! But it was a great teachable moment!) The next week… she was there again, but I had nothing… except for an “emergency” bag of Chex Mix that I keep in the van.   I gladly rolled down the window and passed it to her.  The kids and I decided that we were NOT going to be unprepared on the following week.  We made a bag for our friend on Saturday night and put it in the van.  It had an apple, crackers and a granola bar.   She wasn’t there again, but at least we were ready.

That got me thinking of an idea that I had seen from a friend from church… have bags ready in the car for when you see a person in need… WITH the Gospel in it as well!

In homeschooling we decided that the word GENEROUS would be our character trait for this month: “Willing to share what God has given without expecting anything in return.”  As an activity we made those bags for needy people.  We shopped for the items, packed the items, added a Gospel tract and then put them in the van and the car!   We hope that this teaches our kids and ourselves to be MORE GENEROUS as we learn about what God has given us and what a sacrifice He has made for us this Christmas season!

DSC_0715

DSC_0716

DSC_0717

DSC_0721

DSC_0720

DSC_0722

DSC_0725

DSC_0726

3 comments:

  1. love, love love this!

    Julie Denger

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great thing to be teaching your kids! this will totally stick with them for years~ great job mommy :)

    ReplyDelete